Move More to Live Longer Better
A training package is being developed by SASP for staff working in the voluntary and community sector, housing providers and social care around how to have meaningful and positive conversations about physical activity within their everyday roles.
'Move More to Live Longer Better' training touches on some of the research, both nationally and locally about older adult physical activity levels, the benefits and barriers to moving more, motivational interviewing, what resources and programmes are available locally to boost confidence with signposting and provides organisations with the opportunity to have ongoing engagement with staff through identifying champions.
- Importance and benefits of physical activity
- Types of activity and national guidelines
- Practical tips and common barriers to staying active
- Positive conversation skills
- Signposting and resources
'Move More and Live Longer Better' training is being piloted this autumn with plans to roll out more widely shortly afterwards and we would welcome any expressions of interest for staff within your organisation.
Volunteer Walk Leader training is available within Somerset to support the development and delivery of our successful Health Walks programmes. Our volunteers love their roles and tell us fantastic stories about how much they enjoy helping others to get active and get walking. Here are some of the benefits to getting involved as a volunteer Walk Leader:
- Full training with a nationally recognised and well respected scheme.
- Ongoing support and guidance from your scheme coordinator and Walking for Health.
- Access to Walking for Health resources and equipment to help you fulfil your role.
- Opportunity to meet new people including like-minded volunteers.
- Opportunity to discover more of your local area and spend time in the outdoors.
- Opportunity to be more physically active yourself.
For more information, please visit our Volunteer Walk Leader Training page