What is included in the Census 2021 Population Data?
The Census 2021 gathered data on demography and migration of population, including:
- Country of birth
- Household composition
- Household deprivation
- Household size
- Migrant indicator
- Population density
- Legal partnership status
What are we finding in Somerset?
1. We have a population of 571,568, almost a third of which live in South Somerset (30.2%)
2. Our population is ageing: a quarter (24.8%) is 65+, compared to 18.4% in England
3. One third of households have only 1 person living there
4. 25% of households have dependent children, which is lower than the England average (28%)
5. Deprivation varies across the county, with some of the highest rates in urban centres
More information on the Census population data in Somerset can be found in our Census Webinar (video below) and slide deck.
More information on the Census 2021
More information on the Census 2021 can be found on the census website.