Each year year 4, 5 and 6 pupils are trained to become Playground Leaders. They receive training to lead younger pupils in structured, fun games at lunchtime. The project has had a massive impact with better behaviour at lunchtimes because pupils are actively engaged in activity, the leaders' confidence and self esteem has risen and schools have reported a real buzz on Huff and Puff days (this is the equipment that is used by the Playground Leaders).
The Playground Leaders are taught skills such as communication, fair play, organising groups/teams and the STEP principle (space, task, equipment, people).
To view/download copies of the teacher/pupil training resources and certificates, please click on the relevant document(s) below:
- Playground Leaders Teachers Resource Pack (PDF, 398 Kb)
- Playground Leaders Pupil Training Pack (PDF, 257 Kb)
- Tutor lesson plans for Y5/6 (PDF, 172 Kb)
- Tutor lesson plans for Y4 (PDF, 272 Kb)
- Sports Leaders Volunteer passport (PDF, 303 Kb)
- Playground Leaders Award Certificate (PDF, 410 Kb)
- Bronze Leader Award Certificate (PDF, 492 Kb)
- Silver Leader Award Certificate (PDF, 392 Kb)
- Gold Leader Award Certiicate (PDF, 429 Kb)
- Platinum Leader Certificate (PDF, 515 Kb)
The following download gives some ideas for playground games produced by the South East Somerset School Sports Partnership.
How to adapt your Playground Games. The STEP information below will help young leaders to adapt their games to include more pupils and add variety to the activities.