What is included in the Census 2021 Labour Market and Travel to Work Data?
The Census 2021 gathered data on economic activity, industry and occupation and travel to work. This includes:
- Economic activity status
- Industry and occupation, including hours worked per week and socio-economic classification
- Travel to work, including distance travelled and method of travel
What are we finding in Somerset?
1. 60% of Somerset residents are economically active, with lowest rates in rural Somerset West (44.5%)
2. Top 3 occupations in Somerset are Professional Occupations, Skilled trades occupations and Managers, directors and senior officials
3. We have an even split of socio-economic statuses across Somerset, however disparities exist when we compare rural and urban areas
4. Around 1/3 of people travel less than 10km to work. In some urban areas over 30% of people travel less than 2km to work.
5. Residents are highly reliant on travelling to work via car/van. 54% drive to work, compared to 47.5% in England. 12.5% of people use active travel, whilst less than 2% use public transport.
More information on the Census labour market and travel to work data in Somerset can be found in our Census Webinar (video below) and slide deck.
More information on the Census 2021
More information on the Census 2021 can be found on the census website.