What is included in the Census 2021 Health, Disability & Unpaid Care Data?
The Census 2021 gathered data on Health, Disability & Unpaid Care, including:
- How good is your health in general?
- Long lasting health conditions or illnesses
- Do you have any physical or mental health conditions or illnesses lasting or expected to last 12 months or more?
- Do any of your conditions or illnesses reduce your ability to carry out day-to-day activities?
- Do you look after, or give any help or support to, anyone because they have long-term physical or mental health conditions or illnesses, or problems related to old age?
What are we finding in Somerset?
1. Around 50% of residents report having very good health, however health inequalities exist across different parts of Somerset. We see some of the lowest rates of very good health in our coastal communities.
2. 18.6% of people in Somerset state their day-to-day activities are limited by long-term physical or mental health conditions or illnesses.
3. There is an increase for those in their 20s reporting a disability that limits them a little. This is primarily driven by females reporting on their mental health.
4. 10% of residents provide unpaid care, and a large proportion of these are aged between 55 and 64, and are female.
More information on the Census health, disability & unpaid care data in Somerset can be found in our Census Webinar (video below) and slide deck.
More information on the Census 2021
More information on the Census 2021 can be found on the census website.