The Daily Mile & High Ham Pre-School
High Ham Pre-School are leading the way in Somerset with their version of 'The Daily Mile'. Encouraging the youngsters at their setting to run, jog, skip, gallop, hop or move in any way they can think of for 15 minutes each day.
With the support of Somerset Activity & Sports Partnership (SASP) High Ham Pre-School have been empowered to integrate The Daily Mile as part of their day to day life. The staff at High Ham Pre-School have been the leading force for this idea, although initially slightly apprehensive about the time it would take to get everyone ready and how much the children would enjoy it. This is what Tori (Early Years Teacher) had to say "I was worried at first as I didn't want it to take too much time out of the day, but the children have got into a great routine and get so excited, they all come back happy and energised".
It all starts when 'the running song' is played throughout the setting, cue happy faces, everyone on their feet and without saying anything a line is formed by the door within seconds waiting patiently to burn off some energy! Come rain, wind, sun or cold everyone heads outside for 15 minutes.
Bekki the Pre-School Manager said (whilst running The Daily Mile herself) "We have noticed that concentration and behaviour has increased in the children since we started this, it's making the whole environment such a lovely place to be".
High Hams Top Tips:
- No set time when to go outside, just pick a time that works
- Staff move around with children to set a positive example
- Children go out in what they are wearing so it saves time (Spider-Man has never been so healthy!)
- Including the 'Helper of the day' who wears a pedometer to count how many steps the group achieves, children read the numbers on the screen
- Different themed days include dressing up, moving in different ways, going backwards and anything the children come up with
- Try new things; invite families to join in too?