Somerset Sports Awards 2016
Friday 24th June saw 130 people descend on Somerset County Cricket Club for the annual Somerset Sports Awards. The awards, organised by Somerset Activity & Sports Partnership (SASP) are an opportunity to celebrate the achievements and successes of the inspirational volunteers, great coaches, outstanding athletes and quality clubs from across the County. Jane Knowles, SASP Partnership Director, gave a warm welcome to proceedings before introducing the host for the evening, Ben McGrail from BBC Somerset.
This year saw a record number of entries for the awards, all which highlighted the fantastic work going on in the County. Jane Knowles, SASP Partnership Director, said; 'as a County Sports Partnership we feel it is important to recognise the tireless efforts of our fantastic workforce. Volunteers are the backbone of community sport and we know that without them sport cannot function. Great coaches not only support athletes to realise their potential but help to create an important lifelong love of sport and physical activity'.
The evening also recognised the work SASP are undertaking with Sport England's This Girl Can Campaign. The campaign, which launched last year, aims to address the persistent gender gap which more men play sport than women at every age by breaking down the barriers that prevent women and girls from participating in sport and physical activity. The evening showcased the four SASP This Girl Can Ambassadors and the various activities they have been trying out.
For more information please contact SASP on email@example.com or 01823 653990.
The photos of the evening (Kelly Weech photography) can now be accessed here, please use the gallery ID - 24062016.
Our award winners were:
- Children's Coach of the Year - Andy Swain of Chard Hockey Club (sponsored by Create Development)
- Participation Coach of the Year - Debra Ashley of Bootye's Ladies Running Club
- Performance Coach of the Year - Jurek Jankowski of Richard Huish College (sponsored by Richard Huish College)
- Young Volunteer of the Year - Ben Nicol of Frome Canoe Club (sponsored by Bridgwater College)
- Club Volunteer of the Year - Lloyd Williams of North Petherton Rugby Club (sponsored by Apsleys Chartered Accountants)
- Club of the Year - Bootye's Ladies Running Club (sponsored by the Rotary Club of Taunton)
- Get Somerset Active - Glynn Cooper of King Arthur's Drive Football Club
- Contribution to School Sport Award - Jim Gillard of Bridgwater College Academy (sponsored by Albert Goodman)
- Outstanding Achievement in Disability Sport Award - Amanda George of Bowman of Ina
- Somerset Workplace Challenge Award - Albert Goodman
- TS5C Young Sportsperson of the Year Award - Cameron Kurle & Jamie Edwards (sponsored by TS5C)
- Sportivate Award - Frome College (sponsored by Sportivate)