Somerset Physical Activity on Referral Training Funding
Leisure providers, self-employed and smaller community activity providers have been negatively impacted from Covid-19. From lockdowns and loss of business they are now reporting significant gaps in provision due to high staff turnover. The organisations are a positive asset for the Somerset community and vital part of supporting people build their physical activity levels safely.
Exercise referral programmes provide structured and safe programme for exercise support for people with health conditions, inactive or sedentary status and support recovery from specific conditions. Somerset is now experiencing a shortage of trained staff to deliver these safe and structured exercise programmes
SASP has been commissioned by Somerset Public Health to lead a programme of funded training to support staff/individuals across the County in obtaining qualifications to deliver exercise referral programmes (Level 2,3 & 4 REPS) alongside inclusion of a wider holistic training programme for these staff.
Any additional training needs identified that will enhance added and social value may also be considered on an individual basis, e.g. other Level 4 qualifications, such as Stroke, Lower Back Pain, Pre and Post-Natal.
Applications are currently welcome at any point but will be assessed and a decision provided within 10 working days. Applications will be individually assessed against the following terms and conditions.
SASP have limited funding from Somerset Public Health for funded training to support staff staff/individuals in obtaining qualifications to deliver exercise referral programmes, which might effect whether we can approve your application.
Terms and Conditions:
- Applicants must be resident in Somerset or actively delivering in Somerset (Somerset County Council area).
- Applicants can apply for the full total course cost of a course (up to a max of £800). Please note the funding can only contribute to the cost of the course, additional expenses such as transport and accommodation will not be considered.
- Applicants must be 16+ and they must be actively delivering exercise/physical activity on referral or wishing to do so in the near future.
- Applicants must complete the application form which includes a supporting statement from their leisure provider, organisation, or other relevant body (if relevant).
- All new instructors to exercise/physical activity referral will also need to undertake the Health Education England Healthy Conversation Skills Training.
- Applicants can only apply for a maximum of £800 per individual.
- Training providers need to be agreed with SASP prior to commencement.
- Applications can only be made by individuals.
- The applicant must have confirmed dates of the course/qualification they are booking on to.
- Funding will only be considered for courses that have not yet started.
- Applicants who receive funded training for Exercise/Physical Activity Referral will be strongly encouraged by the Provider to remain with their employer for at least 12 months to support the delivery of this programme.
- Applicants will be committed to using their new qualification in Somerset to grow the Physical Activity on Referral scheme.
- Applicants will be required to meet any pre-requisites of the course they are applying for, e.g. Level 2 Fitness Instructor OR Level 3 Personal Trainer are required for a Level 3 Exercise Referral course.
- Applicants will be committed to complete the course once booked on and SASP reserve the right to re-claim the cost of the course from the individual should the course fee not be refundable.
- Applicants will use their new qualification for a period of at least 2 years, otherwise SASP reserves the right to re-claim the full cost or partial costs of the course.
- Successful applicants will be required to report back to SASP when requested 12 months after receiving the funding.