Phase 2 of Tackling Inequalities Funding Open
Posted: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 16:37
Phase 2 of the Tackling Inequalities Funding is open! SASP have received funding from Sport England to help keep people most affected during this pandemic physically active, or ready to get or resume activity. The Inequalities Funding aims to support targeted groups across Somerset.
Data from the Sport England commissioned physical activity attitudes and behaviours survey during COVID-19 is highlighting widening gaps in the activity levels across existing priority audiences. These groups are:
- People from Lower Socio Economic Groups
- Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic Communities
- Disabled People
- People with Long Term Health Conditions
COVID-19 is likely to have a significant impact on their ability to be physically active which has the potential to further widen the health inequality gap that already exist with these groups. These groups have been disproportionately affected by the pandemic which can create a culture of fear, where people are choosing to stay indoors to keep safe. Additionally, there may also be a greater impact upon their financial status which is the single greatest determinant of activity levels.
Criteria for Funding
- Be focused on one or more of the following target audience; Lower Socio-Economic Group, Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic Communities, Disabled People or People with Long-Term Health Conditions (LTC).
- Show how the funding will either help the club/community body to survive through the next 6 months and/or support their participants to remain active in the early recovery stages over the next 6 months.
- Demonstrate a clear financial need for the funding sought.
- Demonstrate the existing relationship the club/group have with the target audience and the extent of its reach into the target community.
- Not be a duplicate application for funding already received from the Sport England Community Emergency Fund.
- Be eligible to receive Sport England Lottery Funding.
We anticipate projects to be valued between £200 - £2,000. Larger projects will be considered where the impact justifies it. Expressions of Interest will be reviewed within a 2 week period and you may be contacted to share more detailed information.
Eligibility for Funding
- Sport England funding requires recipient bodies of small grants to have a recognised constitution in place.
- We won't be able to fund:
a. Activities promoting religious or political beliefs.
c. Any private businesses or profit-making organisations unless they are a Social Enterprise or Community Interest Company.
Examples of Projects Funded So Far
Here are just a couple of examples of how we have distributed the funding to date,
People from Lower Socio Economic Groups
- Providing safe environments for families to join in activity together. Many participants had been shielding, so projects helped to build their confidence to start going outside of their homes again. This proved to be a lifeline for parents and carers and children to connect with others outside of their families.
- Purchasing equipment to maintain acceptable behaviour and focus energies into activity giving a sense of purpose for that day.
Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic Communities
- Supporting the return to physical activities for communities hiring facilities and supporting with coaching costs and equipment for sessions.
- Purchasing sensory equipment for the development of gross and fine motor skills.
- Supporting disability football to return ensuring sessions were covid-19 safe and so all members could train without the need to share equipment.
People with Long Term Health Conditions
- Helping those shielding at home to engage with technology and keep in touch virtually with their community.
- Love to Pedal virtual cycle scheme engaging care/residential homes to provide activity for their residents.
- Re-engaging those with LTHC's to return to activity and the sourcing of appropriate instructors to ensure sessions were adapted for individuals who's fitness levels had reduced in lockdown.
For further information or to discuss any ideas and projects further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org