Extra Care Housing Funding
About the fund
Somerset Physical Activity and Sports Partnership (SASP) is seeking to fund Extra Care Housing Schemes in Somerset to support residents to increase their mobility, strength and confidence and move more again following restrictions from Covid-19. The most vulnerable groups in society have been affected by deconditioning and declining mobility levels following the Covid-19 restrictions and lockdowns. With this funding, Extra Care Housing Schemes will be able to strengthen their ability to support residents most at risk of deconditioning to improve mobility, functional fitness and confidence to go out again. This will help to minimise social isolation through a varied programme of supported activities. Physical activity has been shown to increase physical and emotional wellbeing in people of all ages. Increased social isolation, increased health risks and a decrease in mental wellbeing have all been linked to Covid-19. Residents of Extra Care Housing Schemes require assistance in regaining their confidence and capacity to resume physical activity.
Applications should include the following:
- Funding must be used to facilitate physical activity reconditioning opportunities for residents. This may include costs towards training, equipment, physical activity instructors, partnership working or new activities.
- Funding must be spent by 31st March 2023.
- Evidence how your project will benefit the residents
- Provide an understanding of how the project will be sustained after the funding is spent.
Applications open August 1st 2022.
The Extra Care Housing fund will run until March 2023 but applications shut on 1st December 2022.
Who can apply for the funding?
This fund is open to Extra Care Housing Scheme providers in Somerset.
What is the size of the grant available?
Applicants may apply for up to £5,000 to deliver their project. There is no minimum amount. If SASP becomes oversubscribed with applications, those bids who best meet the criteria will be prioritised and / or funding amounts may be reviewed.
What can funding be used for?
Funding can be used to purchase items of equipment, bringing in fitness or activity instructors, training the workforce, providing promotional material for marketing and improving outdoor areas so that physical activity is made more attractive.
If applicants are unsure, or need some help with ideas, please see the example list below:
- Age UK Ageing Well Classes
- Flexercise training
- Tai Chi
- Love to Pedal
- Walk YOUR Way
- Exercise/activity equipment and/or training
- Gardening groups/sessions
- Walk Leader training and walking groups
- Improvements to outdoor areas (enabling increased mobility/activity
If you have any further questions, please contact Lauren Dyer, Active Ageing Project Officer. If you have ideas about a project and need help partnering and linking with other organisations or you want to have a conversation with us, before applying, please get in touch.
Active Ageing Project Officer