Fundamentals of School Swimming (formerly Module 1)
- Quantock Lodge
- Contact Name
- Laura Carter
- Contact Email
- Contact Telephone
- 01823 653990
CREATING A SAFE LEARNING ENVIRONMENT: By the end of this section learners will be able to:
- Help support a healthy and safe environment in and around the swimming pool (H&S, NOP/ EAP/ PSOP)
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of a range of personnel involved in the swimming lesson programme
- Identify good practice with regard to safeguarding and protecting young people
- Help organise the learning environment
DEVELOPING AQUATIC SKILLS AND PHYSICAL LITERACY: By the end of this section learners will be able to:
- Describe what is meant by the term 'physical literacy'
- Outline the principles of movement in the water
- Outline the essential components of the 4 swimming strokes
- Describe a range of essential aquatic skills
Learners will have the opportunity to observe and assist as part of a curriculum swimming programme. Please wear or bring clothes which are suitable for wet, slippery and humid conditions on poolside. You will be able to change at the SASP Offices before you go over to the pool or change on poolside.
SUMMARIES AND PLENARIES: Key Stage 1 and 2 requirements and skills, swimming and water safety, progression, attainment and assessment and expectations – at the end of whichlearners will be able to:
- Identify the statutory requirements for swimming and water safety in the National Curriculum
- Summarise the key considerations with regards to:
i. Movement, Agility, Coordination, Balance. Using Competition and Cooperation.
ii. Progressions, Sequences, Developing aquatic skills and swimming strokes. Using Collaboration and Competition.
iii. Evaluation, Assessment and Recording.