The Active Communities project is to develop activities within areas of Bridgwater to encourage and support people within those communities to become more active and to utilise the facilities in their area. The partnership driving the project forward is with Sedgemoor District Council, Bridgwater College Academy, The Sports Centre, Bridgwater YMCA, local support groups and organisations.
Sessions are FREE or minimum charge, take place at various venues and are for ALL AGES. To encourage getting active regularly incentives are given for regular attendance – nail vouchers, Primark and Amazon vouchers.
Follow us on Facebook to keep up to date with all the latest news.
Come and have a go at sessions currently running:
- Buggy Walks – Fresh air, exercise and chat with like-minded mums!
- Walking Football - For those who used to play but can't get around like they used to, or injury has meant you cant play anymore.
- Golden Age Olympics - Fun and interactive activities challenging both mind and body.
- Garden Gym - Getting active through gardening, with their very own community garden.
- Health Walks – Gentle strolls around the local area.
- Boccia – A seated game, similar to Bowls or French Boule.
- Play in the Park – Fun activities and games for all the family to get involved in.
- Coming soon… Me and You Yoga
Here's what people have said about the sessions:
"I look forward to buggy walks every week. I have made some great friends and love that I am being more active" Emmaline
"Never thought I would be still playing football (Walking) at the age of 81 and enjoying it more than ever. It gets me out of the house, keeps me fit and have made some great new friends" Arthur
"Boccia has been a lifeline for both of us. We have met some wonderful people, we chat, keep fit and benefit from attending through social interaction and movement" John and Sue
For more information and how to get involved, contact Laura Dyke on 01823 653990.