- Contact Name
- General Information
- Contact Email
- Contact Telephone
- 0114 284 1060
What is Basketball?
The Mission for Basketball England is to govern and enhance the sport of Basketball in England. To encourage and enable people to participate in basketball regardless of their ability, age, gender, status, disability or ethnic background and to lift the performance and quality of basketball throughout England.
- The mixture of running, jumping, pivoting and twisting helps improve balance and build endurance.
- Excellent way to boost coordination and balance through dribbling, passing and shooting the basketball
- Team game nature means it is an excellent way to develop communication skills and learn to work effectively with other people.
It is a cheap game to set-up, with only a hoop and basketball required for a match. Thousands of outdoor courts can be found across the country in parks and recreation areas where you can play for free.
For people looking to receive coaching, play as part of a team and compete in a league, there are approximately 1,000 clubs in the UK which can be found in sport centres, schools, colleges, universities and gyms. Local clubs can be found by visiting the Basketball England website.
- Only a hoop and basketball required for a match
- Be sure to wear comfortable shoes and clothing
- Men's basketball was introduced to the Olympics in 1936, with women given their own competition in 1976.